Saturday, November 21, 2015

More Vegan Humor and Our Vegan Agenda

Today, I told my brother we had gone vegan, and he told me this joke:

Q: How can you tell if someone is vegan?
A: You don't have to. They will tell you.

It's good to be able to laugh at ourselves! My life partner and I regularly and unashamedly joke about our "vegan agenda."

One way it plays is revealed in how we now approach dining out: rather than simply going to restaurants we know have lots of vegan options already, we stop in to other dining establishments, explain that we are vegan and ask what they can serve us.

Most restaurateurs kindly try to help by taking us on a tour of their menus, suggesting variations to the non-vegan or vegetarian selections. As the vegan diet is becoming more popular, we delight to discover more and more options are available to us.

When we found an online list of vegan fast food, I was happy to see that Taco Bell - for all of its many other shortcomings - does not use lard in their beans or tortillas, and many of their menu items can be made vegan.

That is, if the one taking the order understands what "vegan" means.

At my latest visit to the drive-through, I explained I wanted a "vegetarian Cantina Burrito made vegan" and began to list the things they would hold. "So, that means, no sour cream..."

The cashier interjected: "Do you want cheese?"

We have a long way to go as a culture at so many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for caring for animals!